If you're a fan of aviation, action and adventure, love sports and getting to know people then you're in the right place. Every year nearly 56,000 air cadets and volunteer staff take part in exciting events all over the country. And with over 1,000 squadrons across the UK, you could be one of them.
A taster of whats instore at Basingstoke Air Cadets!
- Easter/summer camps - There are numerous opportunities to visit RAF stations and see their inner workings, as well as opportunities to visit local attractions and activities.
- Overseas camps - Spend 10 days in Cyprus with fantastic weather, swimming, sailing, and maybe even see the Red Arrows practise their displays (they train there in the summer). Head to Germany where you'll visit popular cities and memorials from both World Wars. You may even get to participate in the International Air Cadet Exchange (IACE), where you’ll spend two weeks as a UK ambassador all across the globe.
- Adventurous training - Adventure training is a huge part of Cadet life, with many different opportunities to undertake rock climbing, abseiling, mountain biking, and hill walking to name a few! Spend a week at one of our two National Adventure Training Centres (Llanbedr and Windermere), and put all of your skills into practice and learn your team’s strengths.
- Gliding - Soar to success! There are fantastic opportunities to glide while you are a cadet, with the ultimate goal being a solo flight. Training is in three stages: a Gliding Induction Course (GIC), Gliding Scholarship (GS) and Advanced Gliding Training (AGT).
- Air Experience Flights - Feel the thrill of powered flight, with a fully qualified pilot to guide you through taking control of the aircraft yourself. Not only have the opportunity to learn about the flying controls but you’ll experience aerobatics and low level flying too.
- Air Cadet Pilot Scheme - The pinnacle of flying as a cadet, for advanced handling. Complete this successfully and you'll be awarded your cadet pilot wings. And if you do exceptionally well you could be recommended for further training which will help towards your Private Pilot's Licence!
- Air Cadet Pilot Navigation Training Scheme - A great opportunity to use your navigation skills, this two-week course where you fly for up to eight hours is open to selected cadets. Success will lead to you gaining your 'wings'.