If you're a fan of aviation, action and adventure, love sports and getting to know people then you're in the right place. Every year nearly 56,000 air cadets and volunteer staff take part in exciting events all over the country. And with over 1,000 squadrons across the UK, you could be one of them.
A taster of whats instore at Basingstoke Air Cadets!
- Annual camps - You will have the opportunity to go on camps throughout the year to RAF stations around the UK. These week-long camps are packed with exciting activities, both on and off the Station.
- Overseas camps - Annual overseas camps are held in other European countries such as Germany where you'll visit a city, or a cemetery from the First and Second World Wars. You may even get to fly in helicopters - another exciting possibility for cadets. If you go to Cyprus with its fantastic weather, swimming, and sailing, you may even see the Red Arrows practising their displays. Once you are 18 years old, you will have the opportunity to apply for the International Air Cadet Exchange. These camps have been held as far afield as the USA and Australia!
- Adventurous training - Adventure training is a huge part of Cadet life, with many different opportunities to undertake rock climbing, abseiling, mountain biking, and hill walking to name a few! Spend a week at one of our two National Adventure Training Centres (Llanbedr and Windermere), and put all of your skills into practice and learn your team’s strengths.
- Gliding - Soar to success! There are fantastic opportunities to glide while you are a cadet, with the ultimate goal being a solo flight. Training is in three stages: a Gliding Induction Course (GIC), Gliding Scholarship (GS) and Advanced Gliding Training (AGT).
- Air Experience Flights - Feel the thrill of powered flight, with a fully qualified pilot to guide you through taking control of the aircraft yourself. Not only have the opportunity to learn about the flying controls but you’ll experience aerobatics and low level flying too.
- Air Cadet Pilot Scheme - The pinnacle of flying as a cadet, for advanced handling. Complete this successfully and you'll be awarded your cadet pilot wings. And if you do exceptionally well you could be recommended for further training which will help towards your Private Pilot's Licence!
- Air Cadet Pilot Navigation Training Scheme - A great opportunity to use your navigation skills, this two-week course where you fly for up to eight hours is open to selected cadets. Success will lead to you gaining your 'wings'.
- Widen your horizons - Membership of the ATC is exciting, rewarding, and above all fun. You'll discover skills you never knew you had, do things and visit places you never thought you would, and meet lots of like-minded people who will become your team-mates and friends. You’ll also have the opportunity to challenge yourself with adventurous training, be selected to represent your country or school on the International Air Cadet Exchange programme, or develop your potential on the Air Cadet Leadership Course. You can really shine as a cadet.